The State School for the Blind Negroes and the State School for the Deaf Negroes was housed on Southern University's campus from 1922 to 1977.
Southern came into existence on April 10,1880, after a group of black politicians petitioned the State Constitutional Convention to establish a school of higher learning for colored people.
Southern University, Baton Rouge,the largest historically black university in Louisiana, was chartered in 1880 in New Orleans, Louisiana as a state supported institution for the education of black Louisianans.
Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device